Fruits are good for you. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, fiber, antioxidants. Fruits are Natures Best Multivitamins.
But are we getting the most out of the precious fruits?
Are we eating fruits the right way?
Are we eating them at the right time?
As per Ayurveda, there are some ground rules which we must follow to make the most out of this nutrient-dense package called FRUITS.
1. Eat fruits empty stomach or 2 hours before or after meals. Fruits should be eaten alone without combining them with any other food. In the western world, the concept of combining fruit with protein is popular say an apple with peanut butter as it helps to regulate the sudden spike of sugar levels due to the release of sugars by fruit. That may be ok for someone who is DIABETIC or have HYPERGLYCEMIA (an excess of glucose in the blood stream), but not for everyone. In Ayurveda, Food Combining plays a significant role. The logic behind eating fruits on their own is that fruits digest easily and quickly. But when we pair them with other complex foods which take more time to digest then it leads to TOXICITY or AMA building in the body and cause indigestion and other digestive issues. So having fruits as dessert may not be a very good idea.
Few EXCEPTIONS are Dates with milk and some COOKED food combinations.
2. Eat fruits that are RIPE, not OVERRIPE. Consuming seasonal fruits are best as it gets easily digested and immediately turn into a nutritional fluid that enhances immunity and energy levels.
3. Buy fruits which are grown ORGANIC or from locals farmers markets or local vendors rather than Super Markets or Chains. Most of the nutritive value are lost in the transportation process. Also, most of the time fruits in supermarkets are artificially ripened or genetically modified.
4. Say a BIG NO to processed fruit juices. They are devoid of useful nutrients and contains tons of sugar. It is like putting junk in the name of "Healthy Food:.
5. Never consume fruits at Bed Time as this will spike the sugar level as well as energy level and you will be awake the whole night. The best time to have fruits is in the morning empty stomach.Having fruits in breakfast or as mid-afternoon snack is perfect. It ensures proper digestion as well absorption of nutrients.
WHAT ABOUT SMOOTHIES:
Some experts suggest that it is ok to have smoothies in which a fruit is blended with other complex foods. As everything is blended together it does not upset the digestion process. There is nothing a fruit is sitting on and therefore, no blocking exist. The fruit does not rot or ferment in the stomach rather gets easily digested.
Definitely, avoid fruit after pizza, burger or pasta :-)
Hope you have enjoyed this write-up. Feel free to ask any question or share your views and take on it.