No Poo Method or No Shampoo method is all over social media as a healthy way to wash hair. As we all know traditional commercial shampoos strip off the hair of its natural oils leaving it dry and dull. Also, they are loaded with nasty unhealthy chemicals.
Why do we need to detox Hair/Scalp?
Apart from shampooing and conditioning hair, one of the most important steps towards achieving healthy hair is a scalp detox treatment. Just like how our skin needs exfoliation to remove dead skin build up, the same way our scalp also needs the removal of product buildup which clogs the pores of the scalp. Detox treatment deeply clarify the scalp and leave it clean and clear.
Let's analyze the BENEFITS of each ingredient we are using in this DIY treatment:
GREEN TEA: Green tea is a wonderful ingredient for hair. It is known to promote hair growth, strengthen the hair shaft, reduce hair fall and prevent split ends. It is also a wonderful hair tonic that adds shine and luster to the hair.
BAKING SODA: Also known as Sodium Carbonate. It clarifies the scalp and removes the product buildup. If you are someone who uses a lot of hair products like styling gels, mousse, hair sprays, hair wax etc. then let baking soda come to your rescue.
ALOEVERA: The benefits of aloe vera are well known. No wonder it is an incredible ingredient which offers amazing benefits to the hair. It stimulates hair growth, removes dandruff, combat itchiness, moisturizes the scalp, reduces hair thinning, treats fungus.
LEMON: I love the smell of lemon, the fresh citrusy smell wakes me up. They are known to make hair shiny, strong, thick and dandruff free. It is particularly beneficial for people with an oily scalp as it acts as a degreaser.
How to make and use this treatment
- First steep two green tea bags in a cup of hot water. Let it cool down completely.
- Then stir in 1/4 cup aloevera gel
- Add and stir in 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Now slowly add 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. It is going to fizz due to reaction with baking soda so add in slowly. Once the fizzing stops transfer the mix in the applicator bottle.
Apply this treatment on the scalp as well as on the hair. Massage the scalp for a minute or two. Leave this treatment for 10 minutes and wash it off. You scalp will be squeaky clean. Follow with a hair conditioner. You don't need to use shampoo when using this treatment. This treatment can be used twice a month. And if you are a product junkie and use the plethora of hair products I would suggest using this treatment once every week.
- Skip lemon juice on color treated hair.
- If you have oiled your hair I would suggest using shampoo as well. The treatment gently cleanses the scalp as it does not have any sulfates. So use shampoo as well with this treatment.
- It is important to condition the hair after this treatment so please do not skip the conditioner.
- Use this treatment only once a week ( if you use a lot of hair styling products) OR twice a month. In between use your regular shampoo and conditioner.
I hope you will give this All Natural DIY Scalp detox a try. Do share your thoughts on it.
"GORGEOUS HAIR IS THE BEST REVENGE"
DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Simple Living Worth Telling is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here. Any statements or claims about the possible health benefits conferred by any foods or supplements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.