Sometimes we need to detoxify and what can be a better time than doing it RIGHT NOW. Yes, have the detoxifying bowl of soup in your next meal. Something you can prepare in very less time and trust me your body will thank you so much for this nutritious treat.
This wholesome and detoxifying soup is one of my top meals I prepare when my stomach crave for good healthy stuff. Usually, I crave for cakes and chocolates ;-)
You don't need a detoxifying pill to eliminate toxins from your body. You must do it every day by choosing and incorporating food which detoxes your body naturally.
For this fibrous and super nutritious soup bowl, I have used leafy greens, herbs, spices and lentils which are known to have detoxifying properties.
Let's get started:
DETOXIFYING LENTIL SOUP
- 1 cup uncooked Lentils (Masoor Dal)
- 3 cups kale steamed and chopped (you can use spinach instead)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or more if you want
- Freshly chopped coriander (cilantro or Dhaniya)
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- Pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder(Dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (kali mirch) adjust to taste
- Salt to taste (preferably use pink rock salt)
- 1 teaspoon jaggery (gur)optional
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ghee (read why I choose ghee and its benefits http://www.simplelivingworthtelling.com/search?q=ghee
See what we are using to make this awesome soup!
|Kale and Red Cherry Tomatoes|
|Fresh Cilantro and Garlic|
- Wash and soak lentils for 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat ghee in a pan.Once it is warm add cumin, mustard, fenugreek and asafoetida.
- Add lentils, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, salt and pepper and 4 cups water. I prefer cooking lentils on the stove rather than pressure cook it. On the stove, it takes about 30 to 40 minutes for lentils to cook completely. Add water as per the consistency you want.
- Steam kale for 10 minutes and chop it roughly. Keep it aside.
- In a small bowl add cherry tomatoes. Top it with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon olive oil. This is a totally optional step but adds a lot of flavour so I recommend doing it.
- Once the lentils are cooked. turn off the stove and add chopped coriander.
- Now transfer the soup in a serving bowl. Top it with steamed chopped kale and seasoned tomatoes.Yummmm...Enjoy!!!!
|Cooking lentils on stove take more time, but it is healthier than using a pressure cooker.|
|Seasoned tomatoes with black pepper, salt and olive oil|
|Health in a bowl!!!!!!|