I was astounded to see how many ingredients a store bought cake has. On an average 15 to 20 ingredients. Whereas if you make the cake at home all you need in a basic cake is 5 to 6 ingredients on an average. So rather than opting for store-bought cakes I prefer relishing the homemade versions.
This Banana Walnut/Pecans cake is one of my favorite. It is Eggless, super soft, moist and delish.
As usual I have tried to sneak in healthy stuff in this recipe. So instead of using butter I have used raw coconut oil and instead of white flour I have used wheat flour. Also, this cake is not super sweet.It is light on tummy and goes well with a cup of tea/coffee as well as make a perfect dessert after the meal.
In this recipe make sure you use bananas which are browned (overripe) as it will enhance the flavors.
I hope you will enjoy baking this cake.
BANANA WALNUT CAKE
STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES
|In a bowl sift dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder). Stir together to combine|
|In another bowl mash banana. Add brown sugar and mix well using a whisk|
|Then add yogurt, oil and vanilla extract and combine well.|
|Coat the walnuts with flour to prevent them from sinking down in the batter.|
|Add half of the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and fold in gently|
|Add the remaining flour and 1/2 of the walnuts. Fold in everything together. Do not over stir.|
|Pour the batter into the baking pan. Pat the pan gently to evenly distribute the batter.|
- 1 cup flour
- 2 bananas (preferably overripe)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup thick yogurt (you can also use Greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil (you can use vegetable oil also)
- 1/2 cup walnuts/pecans roughly chopped (you can add more)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
NOTE: You can add 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder too. My husband is not very fond of cinnamon so I have not added it
- Preheat the oven at 356 F (180 C) and grease the loaf pan.
- In a bowl sift dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder). Stir together to combine.
- In another bowl mash banana. Add brown sugar and mix well using a whisk. Then add yogurt, oil and vanilla extract and combine well.
- Now start adding the dry ingredients. Add half of the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and fold in gently. Add the remaining flour and 1/2 of the walnuts. Fold in everything together. Do not over stir.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Pat the pan gently to evenly distribute the batter.
- Top it with remaining walnuts/pecans.
- Bake at 356 F (180 c) for 35 to 40 minutes. Keep an eye for the last 10 minutes to prevent burning. Insert the toothpick in the centre of the cake to check if it is cooked. It should come out clean.
- Let the cake cool down in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Then transfer it on the wire rack to cool down.
- Store it in an airtight container.