How many of you are obsessed with those plug-in deodorizers, spray air fresheners or scented candles. I was at one point of time, but no more. After learning about the host of chemicals the store bought air fresheners contain, I have to abandon them. Read more http://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2011/09/your-best-air-freshener-isnt-air-freshener
3 simple ingredients is all you need to make your very own Air Freshener which can be used in kitchen, bathroom, living room, closets anywhere. And the best part you can tailor the fragrance as per your taste and preference. You can use a single essential oil or a blend of essential oils to achieve the desired fragrance. Bonus, it is money saving too.
So let's get started and make your home smell heavenly.
- 1 cup water
- 1tablespoon Vodka
- Essential oil (your choice) 20 drops (You can add more but this is enough for me)
- In a spray bottle add them all. When you have to use just give it a shake and spray it. Buy a dark color bottle preferably, if you can find glass it will be good. Also, make sure you store them in dark place
- If you do not want to use Vodka you can skip it. But to evenly distribute the essential oil here is a trick. In a small container add 1 tablespoon water, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt and essential oil. Now mix it all. Add this solution to the water. This will help in evenly distributing the oil when you shake the bottle and baking soda will help in absorbing the bad odors.
I have used Jasmine and Tea Tree essential oil combination. I also love Rose and Lemon oil combination.
In some time, you will fall in love with this DIY. I make it almost every week. I cook a lot and before I used this spray I was trying other DIYs to get rid of spices and food smell. But this is really convenient and therefore I prefer it over other DIYs. If you have your favourite way to eliminate bad odours please share them in the comments below.
- Please make sure you buy essential oils and not fragrance oil available at much cheaper prices. The word "fragrance" may hide dozen of chemicals.
- You can buy a cheap Vodka because you are not drinking it. Vodka contains ethyl alcohol which when dries leave no odour and helps in dispersing and thinning down the essential oils. But if you want to skip the alcohol altogether because you don't want to inhale it, use the second method which involves baking soda and salt.