I make sevian kheer quite often. It is simple, quick and satisfying. But this time I wanted to try something different. I have heard a lot about roasted strawberry ice creams. But as I am not a very big fan of ice creams ( it irritates my throat ) I always stick to desserts which taste good at room temperature or served hot. So I thought why not caramelised strawberries and add to sevian.
This recipe was a total experiment. I never like doing any alterations with traditional Indian desserts, they taste awesome that way. But this time I did, and guess what it is a SUPERHIT. My husband loved it. Since then I never made sevian the traditional way. One batch of it is still chilling in my fridge and we both are all set to dig it in tonight.
So wear your Chef caps and try this unusual unique combination which taste out of this world :p
- 3/4 Sevia
- 1/4 cup Almonds( I used whole almonds, but you can slice them)
- 5 cups Milk
- 2 tablespoon Ghee for roasting
- A pinch of Nutmeg powder (Jayphal). Optional.
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon more (add more or less as per your preference)
- 2 cups Strawberries
- 2 tablespoon Sugar for caramelizing strawberries
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add ghee in a nonstick or heavy bottom pan.
- Add sevian and almonds. Roast for 3-4 minutes until it turns golden brown and fragrant.
- Add milk and bring it to the boil.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, turn down the flame to medium-low.
- Stir in between to make sure the milk does not stick to the pan or get burnt.
- Let the milk boil for 20 minutes until it turns creamy.
- Add sugar and nutmeg and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once done turn off the flame, set aside and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven at 375 F (190C) and line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Grease the baking sheet or foil lightly.
- Cut the strawberries in half.
- In a bowl add the strawberries, vanilla extract, and sugar. Toss everything.
- Transfer the sugar coated strawberries on a baking tray and pop it the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once done take them out and let it cool slightly
When we roast the strawberries their flavor becomes more intense. The sugar added to it will help in drawing out the excess liquid from the strawberries which you can use later to drizzle your dessert for a beautiful presentation.
Now the fun part begins. Start layering roasted strawberries, then sevian kheer. On top drizzle the syrup which you get in the process of roasting strawberries.
STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES:
|Add Ghee to the pan and add Sevian|
|Add Almonds I used whole, if you wish you can slice them.|
|Roast Sevian and Almonds for 3-4 minutes until it turns golden brown and fragrant.|
|Add milk and bring it to the boil.|
|Once the milk comes to a boil, turn down the flame to medium-low stir in between to make sure the milk does not stick to the pan or get burnt.Let the milk boil for 20 minutes until it turns creamy|
|Add sugar and nutmeg and simmer for 5 minutes|
|Cut the strawberries in half|
|In a bowl add the strawberries, vanilla extract, and sugar. Toss everything.|
|Transfer the sugar coated strawberries on a baking tray lined with parchment and pop it the oven for 20 minutes|
|When we roast the strawberries their flavor becomes more intense. The sugar added to it will help in drawing out the excess liquid from the strawberries which you can use later to drizzle your dessert for a beautiful presentation|
Serve it at room temperature or chilled.
- You can add your favourite nuts.
- Do not mix the roasted strawberries in the sevian. Keep it separately and layer them while serving. It tastes better that way
- The kheer will become thicker as it cools down.