Sweets have been a staple in my platter. I wait for the whole meal to finish fast just to relish the desert. They wake up all my senses. When I was in India I always ask my mom to get some kind of a baked cookies from the Kirana store. Coconut cookies were my favorite. I love Coconuts and anything with coconut flavor. But since I came to US I was never satisfied with the taste of cookies we get over here. I like the cookies to be crispy not chewy and soft. So one day I thought rather than struggling to find the right cookies outside in the markets, I should wear my apron and get into baking some home baked cookies. Since then I am hooked. Its a hit in my family. The whole batch of around 40 cookies finishes off in maximum 2 days :-) .
These delightful cookies are irresistible once they are out of oven, my whole house fills with the beautiful aroma of these freshly baked cookies.Sometimes I gobble a few even before they cool down ;-). I love making my baked goods with Whole Wheat Flour. So lets see how to make Indian style Healthy Egg less Coconut Cookies.
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Ghee (Clarified Butte ) or Butter
- 1 cup Desiccated Coconut (Unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon milk or as needed.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F (180 C). Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it.
- In a bowl mix sugar and butter well, until it gets creamy and fluffy.
- Add salt and baking powder, mix.
- Add wheat flour and desiccated coconut and mix everything
- Now start adding milk slowly to make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough to make small rounds. Press the rounds with your palm to get a cookie shape.
- Sprinkle dry coconut over the cookies as a garnish.
- Place the cookies on the baking tray one inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes in a pre heated oven.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool down for a 2 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Store them in a air tight container.